What is Unclaimed Money?

It is sometimes very difficult for banks, credit unions, and even retail stores to find the owner of big chunks of money. After five years of inactivity, financial institutions turn that money over to the state and the State Treasury is charged with finding the rightful owner of this unclaimed money – or unclaimed property, as the industry would call it.

How do I make a claim? 

Beginning your search is as easy as 1-2-3!

  1. Visit Treasury.MS.gov or click here.
  2. Type your last name into the Unclaimed Money search box.
  3. Click Go!

If you find property in your name, click Claim and our team will help take care of the rest!

Frequently Asked Questions


Required Documentation for Claim Request

If you are an Individual claiming property, you must provide:

  • Photo ID: Copy of a driver’s license, passport, military ID card or other official card.
  • Social Security Number(s): Copy of the claimant’s SSN card. OR, any formal document containing the SS number (ie: top of a tax return, or insurance document etc.
  • Name Change: If owner’s name has changed for any reason submit marriage license, divorce decree or legal document showing name change.
  • Minor: If the owner is a minor, send copy of minor’s birth certificate.

If the owner is deceased, you must provide:

  • Photo ID: Copy of the claimant’s driver’s license, passport, military ID card or other official card.
  • Social Security Number(s): Copy of the claimant’s SSN card. OR, any formal document containing the SS number (ie: top of a tax return, insurance document, or Medicare card etc.
  • Death Certificate: Send a copy of the owner’s death certificate and any deceased heir’s death certificate.
  • Will/Obituary/Affidavit of Death: If the owner or the owner’s heirs are deceased, please submit a copy of the owner’s filed will, if there was one. If none exist, send a copy of the obituary or funeral program showing all heirs. If there was no obituary or funeral program, each claiming heir must complete a notarized Affidavit of Death available here.
  • Is the estate open or closed? Please notate this on the claim form. If the estate is open, we pay the estate in care of the executor. If the estate is closed, we must split the funds between all legal heir(s). Each heir needs to complete a separate claim form.

If you are claiming for a corporation or business, you must provide:

  • Photo ID: Copy of officer’s company ID badge, driver’s license, passport or other official ID card.
  • Employer FEIN Tax Number: Send copy of FEIN for the corporation/business.
  • Proof of Company Position: Examples include a business card or letterhead listing officer.
  • Proof of address: Send proof of company address that was reported to the State.
  • Is business open or dissolved? If business is open, we will pay the business. If the business is dissolved, send legal proof of each owners’ name and the percentage of the company each owned.

If you are public entity you must upload a copy of:

  • Employee ID
  • Signing Authority
  • Business Card
Does unclaimed property mean you have things like houses cars and boats?

No. Unclaimed property is money or stock, not land or houses.

Property is being held for a family member of mine who has passed away. Can I claim it?

Yes, each legal heir can file a claim, and the property is split according to the filed will.

I have power of attorney (POA) for a person listed as the property owner. What documentation is required?

Submit a copy of the property owner’s driver’s license and Social Security card, as well as a copy of the POA’s driver’s license, Social Security card, and power of attorney document.

What if I cannot provide proof of ownership?

Proof of ownership is typically established by address or Social Security verification. Sometimes claimants are not able to verify that they lived at the last known address reported. In these cases, we will do everything we can to assist you in establishing ownership. If we are not successful in finding a connection to an old address, you may be asked to do further research.

How do I obtain or provide proof of a previous address?

Copies of old bills (such as a utility bill), tax returns, school records, birth or death certificates, or credit reports will suffice. Any official document listing your previous address is sufficient. If you can’t submit proof of address, write a simple note explaining this was a house or apartment that you or someone else owned or rented and during what approximate period of time. We will research this information and attempt to match the address on your behalf.

May I fax or email the claim form?

No. We cannot accept faxed or emailed claim forms at this time.

I am a parent or legal guardian of a minor who is listed as the property owner. What documentation is required?

Submit a copy of your driver’s license and Social Security card as well as a copy of the birth certificate or driver’s license and Social Security card of the minor. Also include adoption or guardianship papers from the court, if applicable.

Why do I have to send in a copy of my identification and Social Security card to prove my claim?

The State Treasury must verify the correct person is being paid.

What if the original owner of the property is deceased?

Submit the regular documentation, plus a copy of the property owner’s death certificate along with a copy of the filed Will and Probate Orders. If no Will was left, send a copy of the obituary from the paper or funeral program listing the heirs. If there’s no Will or obituary, the heir can complete an Affidavit of Death and Heirship for consideration.

Where can I obtain a death certificate?

If the person passed away in Mississippi, you may contact the Mississippi Department of Health at (601) 576-7981 or at MSDH.state.ms.us.

How do I obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) for an estate?

Contact the IRS at 1 (800) 829-4933 or visit IRS.gov.

Why must each heir file individual claims?

The State of Mississippi is bound by law to distribute unclaimed property based on the intentions of the Will or according to heirship. We are prohibited from distributing to one heir the entire amount of unclaimed property, even if one claimant intends to distribute the property among other heirs.

Must each heir submit all required documents?

No. One heir must submit a death certificate and Will or obituary. Once that occurs, those documents do not need to be filed again by other heirs. However, each heir could be required to provide copies of their birth certificate, driver’s license, proof of Social Security Number, and proof of current address as the claim proceeds. If the claim involves an open estate, then the estate executor/executrix would be responsible for submitting documents supporting the claim.

All of my paperwork is ready. May I stop by the Unclaimed Property Division in the Treasurer’s Office to pick up a check?

No. We do not have the checks in our office.

How long does it take to receive funds after I file a claim?

It will take up to 8 weeks to process your claim once we have received all the required documentation. It could take longer if required documentation is not included in the original claim form. Claims with stock securities may also take longer.

I received a claim form from your office. Why do I not see my name in your database?

Once you have submitted a claim online or through the mail, it is imported into our system for processing. At that point, the name is removed from the database listing while the claim is being evaluated.

I have moved since I filed a claim form. What do I do?

To request a change of address or if you believe you check may have been lost in the mail, please have your claim number ready and call our office at (601) 359-3534.

I received information from a claim finder who said they could help me get my property for a fee. Should I use them to help file my claim?

Any person may file a claim without the assistance of a paid claim finder. We are happy to assist you and help you avoid any fees from claim finders. Claim finders may charge a maximum of 10% for their services.